The Art of Bookcase Styling
Creating the perfect #shelfie Vignette Styling
Styling a bookcase is an art in and upon itself.
To the untrained eye it may look like odds and ends are randomly thrown together.But if one was to look a little closer there’s actually careful planning and implementation amidst the chic styling.
First one must pick a style/theme/aesthetic, I of course choose Monochrome but there are numerous other possibilities limited only to your imagination.Other such styles include Nautical and Scandinavian .But whichever approach you take the same rules always apply.
Here are my Top 6 tips
1.Choose your style and stick with it!
- Be sure of your base theme from the get go as there is nothing worse than seeing pieces that don’t fit together and a mishmash of styles that don’t work together.
2.Bookshelves are not just for books! Duh…
- They are also a fabulous way to display your handbags and shoes.Same goes for your accessories and other decorative items.”But Natalia I don’t have designer items to display in my bookcase” you might say..You don’t need designer pieces to create eye catching setups my loves!
- Display that Panama hat you got on your trip to the Bahamas or those cool boots you bought at H&M.
- Also show off your favorite fashion items, they don’t have to have a big price tag to pack a power punch.
Keep your designer boxes and paper shopping bags from your purchases for your display.
3.Arrange books and magazines by color
- This is very important,don’t underestimate the dramatic impact this has.I keep all my magazines with white spines just for this purpose.
- Colored books/magazines can be used with other styles aswell,arranged in groups to create a unique color pop.
4.Create shapes and lines.
- If you’re a photographer then use that knowledge to help you style.
- Composition and leading lines our your ticket here.
- Add layering,different heights and it should say something about you.
- Do you love fashion? Or cars,the beach? Incorporate those into your shelf.This is the place to incorporate those exotic trinkets you brought back from far flung places.
- Add whatever items you want as it’s your bookcase and should reflect you!
5.Choose your Type of bookshelf
- What’s your theme?If it’s monochrome you could paint your bookshelf white for a nice contrast against your items.
- If you’re going for Hollywood regency then an open geometric brass bookshelf would be optimal rather than a Hamptons style bookcase for a coastal feel.
- Don’t be afraid to step back and reevaluate it’s all about getting the right ratios.Walking away from a job and coming back provides a fresh perspective when you are stuck.
Fashion is supposed to be fun likewise can be said for interior styling.Last but not least have fun with it!
If you enjoyed my tips and tricks please leave a comment on any tips or questions you might have to share with us!
Rose gold coat hangers – Kmart
Wild Mint & Bergamot Candle c/o – gladysmack
Garment Rack – Target
Marble tray – Kmart
Marble canister – Kmart
Black Marble paperweight – Kmart
White bookshelf – Kmart
Buckle Boots – H&M
Chanel kitten heels – Bergdorf Goodman
Gucci black suede Dionysus – Gucci
Parisienne Print c/o – whilton.design
Designer graffiti print c/o – whilton.design
Sunglasses – Gucci
Diamond hourglass c/o – Shortstory
Open toed booties – Friend Of Mine
Fragrance byredo Pulp – Mecca cosmetica